LOW-WASTE & PLASTIC FREE LIVING
Reduce your trash output & the toxic items around you
WHY WOULD YOU GIVE A F*CK ABOUT REDUCING PLASTICS & TRASH?
#1 The amount of plastics in the oceans is a direct result of each one of us!
#2 Animals in your own neighborhood are struggling from plastics in their environment as well. Birds and animals choke on plastic everyday.
#3 Plastics (even ones labelled BPA free) are toxic to our health. Plastics are made of petroleum (OIL, like the oil in your car) and a little bit of that toxic oil leaks into your food and drinks every time you consume out of/off of plastic.
#4 Microplastics (tiny pieces of plastic) have been found in every single human that has been tested for it.
#5 IT'S ACTUALLY PRETTY EASY TO REDUCE YOUR USE OF NON-SUSTAINABLE ITEMS & PLASTICS....
This page is a quick, easy library of HOW TO do that AND ENJOY IT!*
(psst most non plastic items look 10x better! LOL)
TRY NOT TO BUY PLASTIC -- refuse plastic straws and cutlery politely, don't buy plastic packaged fruits and veggies, buy meat from the butcher (to avoid those plastic meat trays) etc. [more in blog below]
BUY LESS -- Do you really need the item you are buying, check if you have one already... ask a friend to borrow their item (if for short-use), or buy used items then sell them when done with it
BUY LONGER LASTING ITEMS -- Choose items carefully before buying so their not cheap single-use. Most eco-friendly product brands make it a point to last a lifetime or nearly a lifetime (depending on what it is)... therefore reducing your lifetime costs & reducing the amount of stuff ending up in landfill FOREVER.
SWAP FOR ECO VERSIONS - Nearly everything has a sustainable version now. ie: reusable water bottles, deodorant in tins/recycled paper tubes, toothpaste in jars. [more in blog below]
DON'T WASTE FOOD -- use leftovers for new recipes, don't buy too much fresh food at one time, if you buy too much fresh food consider freezing it (in jars) and using later, compost food scraps.
COMPOST -- Put peels and cores of fruits and veggies, as well as spoiled foods (if you end up with some), into one separate bin...and you're basically composting. Refer to our How to Compost post for more info.
HOW DO YOU LIVE LOW-WASTE?
WHAT ARE THE REAL AND FALSE SOLUTIONS??
What are real solutions to plastic pollution?
- Government bans and restrictions for unnecessary and damaging plastic products or activities. Legislative reuse targets.
- Mandated Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations and strategies to make producers and companies responsible for the damage plastic causes to our environment, make them accountable for the entire lifecycle and true costs of their products.
- Government and corporate investment in reuse models and new ways to deliver products using less or no packaging.
- Corporate phase-out of production and use of single-use plastic products and throwaway product models.
- A shift in dominant public mindsets away from our throwaway culture focused on convenience being equal to disposal, toward a vision of healthy, sustainable and more connected communities.
What are false solutions to plastic pollution?
- Bioplastics – not as green as they seem, approach with caution. Though companies often market them under the same umbrella, a product is not necessarily biodegradable and may require very specific conditions to break down. They also do not solve the litter or throwaway culture problem.
- Incineration – creates other pollution and does not address the overproduction problem.
- Focusing on end of life like recycling or disposal – we can’t recycle our way out of this crisis.
- Clean up – while clean up efforts help reduce litter problems, they do not address the source of the problem and ignore the unseen plastic pollution – microplastics.
- Throwaway alternatives – replacing one single-use item with another does not necessarily solve the problem or help to address our throwaway culture.
Source for info and INSPIRATION is from Plastic Free Mermaid: https://iquitplastics.com/new-homepage
EASY TO ACCESS MIND OPENERS
Sometimes you just need some EPIC VISUALS.
Related topics easily found on streaming services or online. For the optimists & the pessimists to open doorways & learn something new. Inspiring docos & people to inspire own research and continued learning.
A great documentary into ONE environment where plastic / man-made inputs are overwhelming nature.
Found of Netflix.
A documentary view into how many chemicals are surrounding us in EVERYTHING.
Found on Netflix.
A QUICK VIDEO of the life of plastic.
Recycling isn't the solution (as not all you put in the recycling bin gets recycled) but it's a good first step.
Ignorance is no longer bliss. Ignorance is leading to a bleak future. So SHARE any of the above and let's get off our butts and do something about atleast ONE of the worlds problems.
SUPPORT @ THE ROOT
LOCAL, easy to join, genuine organizations making a difference:
We can no longer expect other's to solve the world's problems.
BROWSE ALL ARTICLES: